The Great Organ was originally built by E. F. Walcker and Company of Ludwigsburg, Germany in the 1860s and was installed in the Boston Music Hall. By the mid-1880s, the organ had fallen out of public favor and was subsequently purchased by William O. Grover for a sum of $5,000. The Great Organ was dismantled and placed in storage. In 1896, Edward F Searles took ownership of the Methuen Woolen Company building along the banks of the Spicket river. The Great Organ was purchased and reassembled in a custom-made building, which is now known as The Methuen Memorial Music Hall.
Today, The Methuen Memorial Music Hall is a registered historical landmark and is actively used for performances of many kinds. Though the Great Organ is the center piece of the Hall and the 15-week organ recital series represents the flagship events of our season, the Hall is available for private rentals for weddings, gatherings, and performances. For more info, visit http://www.mmmh.org